Many homeowners and individuals use a duvet in their bedroom. While a duvet can provide warmth and create a great appearance, they have several downsides. Most duvets consist of a waterproof cover, a filler material, and a cloth covering. The filler material can be goose down, polyester or nylon.
Many people are not allergic to the duvet or the filler material. Older duvets can accumulate a large number of dust mites and other microscopic pests. Dust mites feed on human skin, and excrete a fine dust. This dust is an allergen for many people. While dust mites aren’t harmful to one’s health, they can be a headache.
The best way to eliminate dust mites from a duvet is by washing bedding material every two weeks. In addition, it’s important to shower before going to bed. While this may seem like a waste of time, a shower is a good way to eliminate dead skin cells that accumulate on the surface of the skin. These can be an excellent food source for dust mites.
Some people may be allergic to the goose down found in some duvets. While most duvets are made from a hypo-allerginic goose down, there are some types of material that are not processed. Many home-made duvets can create an allergic reaction for susceptible individuals.
Always avoid placing a duvet directly over one’s face when sleeping. In addition, a bed sheet between one’s body and a duvet is a good way to reduce the spread of allergens.